Wednesday, October 16, 2013

I'm a Triathlete!!

So here it is Wednesday already and I have not yet posted about the triathlon I did on Saturday! So here is the run down:

It was so much fun!! We were there to check in at 7:20 a.m. We started out in the swimming pool at 8. We did shifts in the pool, since there was only 6 lanes that we had to double up on. Since I don't freestyle without swallowing the whole pool, I figured out that a side stoke works really well for me. It still gives me the work out too, especially with my arms. Swimming a side stroke when you are sharing the lanes so closely with many others, doesn't leave you a whole of room to move, so I kicking people, I felt so bad.

After the swimming, we jumped on our bikes, which was my mountain bike, with my hubby's street tires put on for the speed. I thought the bike would go pretty smooth, but little did I know on the other side of the nice cruise down hill was quite the steep incline. I struggled up the hill and many times just wanted to get off and walk, but I pushed through it and was able to stay on my bike, just going a very slow pace.

Then for the final part, running. We ran the same route we biked and about half way up the incline, I did have to walk a little ways, but I made it, and I finished the race. I am very proud of myself and my dear friend!

So I don't know exactly how the scored everything or timed everything, it is quite confusing to me, but I finished the whole race in 87 minutes! Not bad at all for a first timer!! This, we realized later, was not even a half tri. They called it a taste of a tri, which for your first time, I just perfect. I would love to try a full triathlon, just to say I can do it, but that would require me to train a lot more and a lot harder. And definitely to get on a bike more than just at the gym a couple times. But I loved every minute of it and I look forward to another one and to keep training.

Now our next training is for my friend to run the Ogden half marathon in May. I didn't put in for the lottery because I was afraid I would get drawn out, but my friend did and I promised her I would help her train, and I will definitely be there when she runs the whole thing!

Everyone should try something that is out of their comfort zome! I have found that these races are so much fun, and I love being in the pool, even though I don't swim all that well. You always learn things about yourself that you never knew before when you do something that is hard for you to do. Keep training, and loving life!


No comments:

Post a Comment