Tuesday, February 9, 2016

Eat healthy!

I have been thinking a lot lately about eating more healthy. With that said, it's easier said or thought, than actually done!


I eat pretty healthy. I try to get in fruits and veggies and cook lean meats and whole grains and water. It's just hard to on some of those days, when I decide I'd rather go out to lunch with my hubby than to make something more healthy at home.


I love going out to eat! I love the food, the fact that I don't have to make the food, and of course the social atmosphere. But it never fails, I always choose something that sounds so good, but is so not healthy! Add on the soda, since most restraunts have awful water, and I probably just blew my whole day.


We went out yesterday. Hit the pizza buffet, which I like, because they have a salad bar and I will always get a salad first and by the time I'm done with that, I can usually only eat one piece of pizza and a couple little breadstick knots, but I can't pass up dessert! It was nice to get out though and be with my hubby for sure!


I was thinking about a book that my in-laws gave me for Christmas a few years ago that I absolutely love! It's called "The homemade pantry: 101 things to stop buying and start making" by Alana Chernila.*
This book has been a huge blessing to us! With trying to get my kids to eat healthy and help out in the kitchen, we have used this book a lot! The author is a mom that lives on a farm and makes and uses everything she grows and raises. She is very inspiring! As you can see from the cover, she has a recipe for toaster pastries, yum! She also has recipes for graham crackers, cheese crackers, cakes, pies, drinks, marshmallows, sauerkraut, butter, cheese, vanilla extract, etc.


We haven't tried all of the recipes, but I have tried the graham crackers and sauerkraut and we love them both!


This is where we have gotten our kids to help out. We have let the kids pick which snack they want to make and then, with our help, they make them. Our youngest son loves to make the graham crackers, so we try to make those often. Add some yummy homemade frosting and you have a yummy dessert!


In making our own snacks and treats, we are also cutting out all the additives that our bodies don't need. Like high fructose corn syrup. Don't get me wrong, I like corn syrup as much as the next person in syrups and desserts, but not in my applesauce or things that are processed that need a sweetener.


If you are like me and want to start kicking the bad stuff out of your diet and start putting good fuel in your body, this is a great place to start and an awesome book to help you out! My family has loved it!


*I am in no way being paid to endorse this book. Everything said here is the opinion of the writer.

No comments:

Post a Comment