Friday, February 25, 2011

Wheat Cooking

My wheat cooking started today. Lots of fun! I started off by having some wheat berries this morning for breakfast. I have to admit, it was less than desirable. To make wheat berries, I washed 2 cups of wheat kernels (hard red wheat). I then put them in the crockpot with 4 cups water and cooked in crockpot over night. I just scooped out 1/2 cup to eat. I only added a little almond milk and a banana, it would have been better with some brown sugar or cinnamon. Then I put the rest in the fridge to use later. These can be stored up to 10 days in the fridge. For dinner tonight I made wheat stir fry, it was very yummy and since I made up my own recipe, here you go:

Wheat Stir fry

2 chicken breasts, sliced
1 tsp. ginger powder
1 tsp. dried chives
1 pkg. oriental veggies
1/4 cup soy sauce
1 TBS. cornstarch
1 cup cooked brown rice
1 1/2 cups wheat berries

Heat olive oil in pan. Add slied chicken breasts, ginger and chives. Sautee until done. Then add 1 pkg. Oriental veggies and cook until soft. Then add 1/4 cup soy sauce mixed with 1 TBS. cornstarch, stir. Add 1 cup pre cooked brown rice and 1 1/2 cups wheat berries heat through and serve warm. You may wish to add some salt and pepper to taste. Let me know what you think of this recipe and if you have any other ideas for wheat.

No comments:

Post a Comment