Friday, February 8, 2013

Goal update time!!

As you probably know by now, I love to cook and bake almost anything! The one thing I don't really like to bake is bread. It takes so much time to grind the wheat, because we like wheat, mix it all together, knead, let rise, and bake. Boy I sound like the little red hen, with no one to help me, but everyone willing to eat it. Haha! Anyway, I don't make bread all that often because it rarely turns out the way I would like it to. My husband even bought the big commercial grade 1 pound pans so I could make big loaves and do this every week so I am not buying bread with all sorts of yuck in them. I hate to say it, but I have only used those pans a couple of times. So I decided this week I wanted to make bread since I used the last of the store bought bread in my freezer and I am out of money until next week for groceries. So being the good little homemaker I am, I decided to make a couple loaves of bread for the week.

I looked through my recipes to try to find one that was easy. I ground lots of wheat for flour, and got my recipe ready. I have one that I got from a relief society activity years ago that was easy, with no kneading and it didn't have to rise long. So I made it up, but read the recipe wrong and let it rise in the bowl, then put it in the pans. Baked for 30 minutes, it came out so heavy and hard! So I decided to try again and read the recipe right this time and put it in the pans first, then let it rise, but even doing it that way, it was still heavy like a brick. The only thing I can figure is that it is my wheat, or using straight red wheat instead of white wheat is what makes the difference, I don't know. So I learned to make sure you read the recipe right, otherwise your bread turns out awful, but sometimes, even when you do read the recipe right, it doesn't always turn out.

This is when I get really frustrated and have a hard time making bread. My husband makes awesome bread, he does french bread and bagettes that are so good. I did come across a bread recipe that I made that turned out very good! I just happened to catch on one of tv channels here when I was trying to find something for the kids to watch. I made it and it turned out good, and was so very yummy! It is tomato basil bread, it is a yeast bread, but not a traditional double rise thing and it can be made in 1 hour, unlike other yeast breads.The recipe for this can be found here. I'm sure you can make other types of breads with this recipe to. Enjoy this, it is very good with spaghetti or a casserole.

No comments:

Post a Comment