Monday, February 4, 2013

Super Bowl Partay!!

So how was everyone's super bowl? Ours was great, even though we don't care to watch the game. We don't follow football at all, never have. But it does give us an excuse to have a party with snacky foods. So here is what we had for our "super bowl" party: homemade chicken wings (nuggets), lil smokies, chili queso and salsa dip with tortilla chips, oranges wheels, carrots and celery.

Really easy meal to make. Most of the work I did Saturday night, so I just had to heat things and throw them together. Then chopping the veggies and oranges don't take long at all. Most everything was just out of a can, other than fruits and veggies. The queso dip was just half a block of velveeta cheese, a can of chili beans, and some salsa, heat in microwave, serve with chips. Lil smokies were open package, put in bowl, add BBQ sauce, heat. The chicken nuggets took a little more time, but were so worth it! Here is what I did for them:

Chicken nuggets

7-8 chicken breasts; cut into large chunks
4 cups buttermilk or evaporated milk
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. pepper sauce, optional

Mix in a bowl and add chicken to marinade overnight.
(to cut chicken, I cleaned each breast, then cut into thirds long ways, then in half the other way. Made large chunks. I didn't have time to marinade my chicken overnight, so I just put it in the milk and let sit while I mixed up the breading. I also didn't have buttermilk, not something I keep on hand or think about until I need it, and I am stingy about using my evaporated milk, so I just did regular milk and added Tru Lemon, since I don't have lemon juice either. It worked out just fine. Work with what you have. And for the pepper sauce, I added some Asian red pepper paste.)

Breading:
2 cups flour
2 tsp. garlic salt
1 tsp. black pepper
1 tsp. onion powder
1 tsp. poultry seasoning
1 TBS paprika

Put in a ziploc bag and shake to mix. Then add chicken pieces, half at a time, and shake to coat. Place on baking sheet lined with foil and lightly sprayed with cooking spray. Bake at 400 degrees for about 30 minutes, until done.

Before baking, I did spray each chicken piece on the top with cooking spray, so that it would bake a little better and crisp up more. You can also fry these in an inch of oil at 350 degrees turning once, until golden. We like them that way too, but I hate to stink up my house with oil.

For the chicken wings, I left the chicken nuggets cool on the pan, then put them in a container over night in the fridge, so when you put your sauces on, they are cold and easier to work with. Then when I was ready, I split them in half, puting into two different, large bowls. I did a buffalo sauce in one bowl and a BBQ sauce in the other. Stir well to coat. Pur on a greased baking sheet and heat at 350 degrees for about 15-20 minutes, until they are heated through.

My hubby suggested even using ground chicken and making little nuggets then doing the same breading and stuff, that way they might be a little softer and easier to eat, or maybe cooking a little less would help to. For being the first time I have ever done anyting like this, it turned out great, we will definitely be making these again for our next party! I hope you enjoy them as much as we do. Sorry I didn't have pics, I couldn't find my camera when I wanted to take a pic.

No comments:

Post a Comment