Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Camping

Growing up I hated camping and fishing and anything that had to do with the outdoors. I tried to carry that into my marriage, but when Mike and I decided to go camping for the first time a couple years after we were married, I have not been able to carry that since. I decided that when I was younger I didn't like being cooped up with my siblings. We also would always go camping to Island Park reservoir and we would sit on the bank all day with our fishing poles out there just waiting to catch something. I more than hated fishing for this reason. I thought it was so boring so I learned to bring books or cross stitches that I was working on at the time and sit out in the sun and try to stay busy.

When Mike and I decided to go camping and fishing a couple years into our marriage, I didn't know if I was going to enjoy it or not. We bought fishing licenses for Wyoming, we camped at Grays River, in a tent, which I had only done a handful of times before because we had a trailer growing up. He also taught me how to fish in the river, which I absolutely loved!

So over the last almost 12 years of marriage, we have been camping quite a fe times and fishing lots of times! We love the river fishing and were able to go into the high Uintas last year for our anniversary and I was pulling spawning cocane salmon out of the river right and left. When they spawn they turn red, so it was so fun to see all these red fish in the river. That was my most memorable fishing/camping trip and anniversary!




This year, we decided to go somewhere different.  We decided on Starvation Reservoir, which is right about Deushne. Once you get past Heber City through the next canyon, it all of the sudden gets so baron! It is all desert! Lots of sand, sage brush, jack rabbits and lizards. Camping was much different, since it was mostly sandy.  We even got our can stuck once and had to find someone to pull us out.

My kids are good at making new friends wherever we go, and they made friends with some people that were fishing for crawdads. It was so much fun, we will definitely be doing that again! It is really easy. You just tie a chicken leg in a piece of twine to a stick and put it out there like a fishing pole and just wait. That crawdads come out from under sticks and rocks and grab onto the chicken and you slowly pull them up and catch them with a net. They were going to have a crawdads boil and eat them, they say they are really good.


The kids also had fun playing in the reservoir and trying to stay cool, it was pretty warm during the day. Warm days and cool nights are so wonderful! We also had a little rain here and there. One night we decided to make the hour plus drive to Vernal. They have a sit down Pizza Hut, where we had dinner. We also wanted to drive by and see the temple there. It is very different. It's not white like most are, it is brick. We also went to the Museum of natural history there, where they had lots of dinosaur fossils that were dug in the Vernal area. Really fun.





By the end we were so exhausted and just wanted to get home, so we just packed up first thing and took off when we were ready. We stopped back in Heber City and had lunch and let the kids play at the park and then on to home. It really was the most wonderful camping trip full of fun and crawdads! We plan to make it back there another time. Hope your family camping trips are just as uh fun as ours have been! Now on to planning the next one!

No comments:

Post a Comment